Archive through September 22, 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Express Aircraft Co LLC Out of Business » Archive through September 22, 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

stan susman
Username: Stanpfa

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 08:22 pm:   

It's been a bit windy in Mobil Alabama, where TCM lives. I'm sure they're just fine.

Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 12:58 am:   

Link works fine on my browser...

Eric Holmberg
Username: Erich

Post Number: 99
Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 08:01 am:   

The note on the site says they shut down the server for Hurricane Ivan, so it looks like it was just a coincidence between TCM and Express.

Steve Furjesi
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 12:23 pm:   

Dear Express Builders
Sorry for the circumstances that you Find yourself in.
My Name is Steve Furjesi
I have been manufacturing metal parts for the Express Type aircraft since before the first Wheeler Express prototype flew, and Worked for the Wheeler Express Co. until that company dissolved. At that time, Larry Olson and I, started a company (EATI), and produced metal fabricated parts for Builders needing parts for several years. When Larry had the opportunity to aquire the Express aircraft project, we dissolved our partnership on good terms, and I set up Experimental Aircraft Metal Fabrication to produce parts for Express Aircraft Co., continuing up to current times. So much for a short introduction, and More like my life History.
First off, I would like to state that I will be able to manufacture metal parts, and have a fairly extensive data base of different generation Express parts. Secondly, I would like to put your mind at ease and say that I am not in any danger of going out of business because of the factory closure. My small business is rapidly growing, and it has been tough to keep up with our growth, not related to any Express demand. Roy has suggested that I build a small website, and put Express parts with their pricing. I am going to do that with some of major items, but please have some patients. What I suggest that everyone do, is compile a list of what they need, and E-mail it along with their contact info. If I can Build a database of the parts people need , then it is going to be more cost effective to do small production runs, and everyone will save. For Builders that want parts immediately, we will do our best, but please understand that it will cost a bit more, and have to be scheduled into our workload.
For the RG People, regarding the gear, another CNC machine shop and myself have produced the parts that are finished, and can finish RG Parts to the specifications that flew on the Turbine Express, But I would like to share information and concerns regarding this project to builders affected. It is going to be hard for me to take phone calls regarding everyones specific needs, so please E -mail your requests and I can contact you until further notice. I will not be able to give builder support on assembly or construction questions because I have been away from that aspect for too long.
Our Phone # is 360 245-3478 if you feel that you need to call, please call between 3:00 and 5:00 pacific time.
On a personal note, I feel very proud to be a part of this great airplane. My opinion is that Roy has put his heart and soul in this project, and has done his best to rectify a mess that he didn't make. It is a shame that he is going to lose his interest, and have to cease activity with this project. I would have to say from working with everone associated in the history of this project, That Roy is the most grounded in reality, and has taken a common sence approach trying to put this company back on course. From day one that I met him, He made it apparent that he intended on trying to meet the obligations of Express customers and vendors. Unfortunately he ran out of time and money.
Sincerely
Steve Furjesi

Tom R. Hutchison
Username: Tomhutch

Post Number: 160
Posted on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 08:53 am:   

Thanks very much for your posting Steve. Your offer to continue supplying Express parts is very reassuring to us builders. I really like Roy's idea of a website for ordering. Let me know if I can provide any information or links when you are ready.

I would like to offer my condolences to Roy and Nancy. We all had so much hope for the direction they were taking EAC. I felt they were moving 100% in the right direction.

I am sure the Express will continue on as a viable product. It has gone though many difficulties in its history and keeps on surviving. That was a big reason I chose the Express over other kits. I believe it's such a great plane it won't ever go away, but only get better. It may be take some time but I am confident someone else will take over the product and continue producing and improving it.

It occured to me that perhaps New Glasair would be a good match to take over the Express. Ken Wheeler was a Glasair builder before he designed the Express. Therefore there are a lot of similarities between the two products. New Glasir is located relatively close to Olympia up in Arlington, WA. Both products are based on Vinyl Ester resin. In fact when I started my project, the company in Rochester, WA next to Express built both Express and Glasair/Glastar fiberglass parts. I think a fast cross-country 4 place aircraft would "round out" the product line of New Glasair.

I also believe there is a business for someone who is willing to do "factory completions" on the existing Express's at the factory and all those kits lying around the country.

Anyway just some thoughts of mine. Thanks to everyone for posting their messages of support for Roy, Nancy and crew.

Like Bill Copeland says, don't count out the Express.

Tom

CBROS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 12:08 pm:   

I have known Steve personally since he and Larry were in business together and he has furnished several parts for our EXPRESS. His work is impeccable. You can completely rely on any parts that he might make for you in terms of fit and finish. In addition, his pricing in reasonable.

Bill C

Jim Butler
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 05:09 pm:   

Some of you may remember a mailing I sent you, trying to determine the level of interest in starting an Express Type Club, for the purpose of obtaining insurance at a more attractive rate. Larry Olson had asked me to do that research for him and after getting your feedback, Larry and I approached the insurance companies to discuss the situation. What we learned was that while the insurance companies are interested in the number of aircraft they can insure, their biggest concern is being able to quantify the repair costs as claims arise. They are very much aware of the cost to replace the wing of a Cherokee, or the costs involved when someone breaks the nose-gear of a Cessna 182, but they have little idea what it will cost to repair an Express. With the advent of more and more composite airplanes this is getting better, but still has a long way to go to make the insurance companies comfortable. Now, with the current situation with Express, the availability of parts could become a very real concern.

With that in mind, I talked with Roy Davis today and discussed an idea that may have some merit, and may give a degree of assurance that parts will continue to be available for both the existing aircraft, as well as new kits. Now what I would like to do is explain that idea to you, once to again determine the level of interest.

What I am thinking about is to put together a number of builders, each contributing an amount, say $5000.00. Hopefully we could put together approximately 25 people, each of them being stock holders in a new corporation. Roy has quoted a price of $100,000 for the molds and tooling. The proceeds from the newly formed corporation would purchase the molds and tooling, with the difference being used to move them to a new location, and to operate the new corporation. Of course we would elect a board of directors from the stock-holders. This board would find a company or companies who are in the business of fabricating composite parts on a job-shop basis. The molds would then be placed with these companies. Those companies would then produce parts for the new corporation as needed. Anyone wanting parts would then purchase those parts from the new corporation. Members of the corporation would be able to purchase parts for themselves at a reduced rate. This would also be true for the metal parts. The new corporation would price the parts to make a profit, this profit being used to maintain and replace the molds as needed, cover the costs of having someone handle the orders, packaging, operating the corporation, etc. The new corporation wouldn’t be doing any builder assist, wouldn’t be selling engines or anything like that. It only would be selling the parts specific to an Express.

If Roy and Nancy are successful at finding a buyer for Express Aircraft, the new corporation would sell parts to the new Express Aircraft at a reduced rate, so they can produce aircraft at a profit level that will allow their survival. If the new Express Aircraft remains a viable company, the new corporation could, if they wish, sell the molds and tooling to the new Express Aircraft.

I would like to think of this scenario as a “safety net” approach. It obviously would be best if Roy and Nancy could find a “well heeled” buyer that could purchase the company and make it viable, making this idea moot. However, in the absence of this buyer, it may be in all of our best interests to do what we can to make sure Express parts continue to be available.

I’m sure this idea needs much more thought. There are probably parts of this idea that are not workable, and certainly much more detail needs to be thought out and included. This is only the first flight of this trial balloon. If you would be interested in investing and becoming a member of the new corporation, please send me an e-mail and tell me your thoughts.

Jim

rvz
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 01:33 pm:   

Here's my reply.

http://www.wheelerexpress.com/phpBB2/index.php

Under Stunkworks LLC

rvz

Matthew Byrne
Username: Mbyrne

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 01:46 pm:   

as far as rvz goes, im in for 5k, i will even offer up storage space and work space if the midwest is choosen as the location, i will also work out the digitizing of all applicable information

rvz
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 01:47 pm:   

Ah crap, I let my domain expire, use this link instead.

http://www.wxlc.com/phpBB2/index.php