Test Flight Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Test Flight « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through August 16, 2001Phil & Margie Hodge 10 08-16-01  04:16 pm
Archive through January 05, 2005Kevin Dennes10 01-05-05  03:57 am
Archive through July 13, 2011henri walser10 07-13-11  02:07 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

henri walser
Username: 43henri

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 02:25 am:   

Al,
first our Elevator are to small and also the rudder (see the cafe.test from Larry's express) so the first improvement was to but on the horizontal stabilizer 10 cm in front of the last EOP the VG's with some space of 30 m/m acc. JG from stallspeed, the next flight shows a big better elevator, better responce during low spped flying... next was the rudder Viktor give this advice to fix the VG's around 15° fwd up
(watter line )also 10 cm in front of the Verticla stabilizer EOP with 40 space but all with the same angle, with this VG'S helps the rudder. After the first stall test whe found out that the rudder works also with LH + RH with 25°
durring all the testflight (see also the cafe test from Jerry) regards Henry htwb@orange.fr

Louie Lacy
Username: Llacy

Post Number: 101
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 12:26 pm:   

I have an Express CT I have been flying for 11 years have 750 hours and don't have a problem with slow flight. I have a 1600 ft grass strip that I operate out of. I take off at 60 mph and fly final at 70 mph and touch down at 60. The airplane doesn't want to stall I can hold 50mph full flaps with power on. The airplane gets off the ground in 600 ft and stops in 800 with no problem

Lou Lacy

Bruce Whetstone
Username: Bwhetstone

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 04:34 pm:   

Henri, or Werner, Repeat of Ben's question... What was the impact on cruise speed? Did installation of the VG's cut top speed or cruise speeds? Please advise.

Glen Farley
Username: Glen_farley

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2011 - 01:37 pm:   

We recently installed the complete Stolspeed VG kit (Wings, Horizontal Stab, and Rudder) on our Lyc IO-360 powered Express CT and I thought we would share the resulting performance figures.

Testing continues, but thus far we have seen Full Flaps/Power off stall speeds reduced from 66 mph IAS (57 kt) to 54 mph IAS (47kt). Takeoff and landing speeds have been reduced and climb angles improved. Low speed aileron effectiveness is better and the "squirrley feeling" we had below 90 mph IAS is much reduced.

Tha bad news is that we appear to have lost 4-5 kts cruise speed at 60% power, although the speed loss seems to be less at higher power settings.

Guess "you pays your money and takes your choice".

More info as it becomes available.........

Stefan Astrom
Username: Stefan

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2012 - 12:13 am:   

I am currently reinstalling a fiberglass landing gear (curved one) on my Express Auriga 2000 and need an old installation guide/manual for this.

The old landing gear had a lot of steel reinforcements and I do not know if I should use them or not. They where located at the bend at rib 2 and down by the wheel installation.

Does anyone have it or knows where to find it? Please send the information asap.

Best regards,
Stefan

Jay Villalva
Username: Jay

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 08:14 pm:   

There are a couple of posts that relate to the Auriga gear. Check out the 'Landing Gear' archives dates: March 17, 2008 and February 20, 2003.

The fiberglass gear that Larry Olson produced did not require the use of steel reinforcements. (I just so happen to have a set of these for sale).

I'll echo Jerry Sjostrand's recommendation to review all the landing gear posts - there's a significant amount of information there.

ali moghaddas
Username: Amoghadd

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 05:23 pm:   

The outboard rib is susceptible to cracking.
Different people have used different reinforcements to address this problem. I epoxied the metal reinforcement to the rib on both sides and have not had any problems to date (I have the stiffer Aluminum legs).
With fiberglass legs, you also need to be concerned about brake over heating & softening of the legs. Some folks have used heat shields which I am not familiar with.
Also, you need to check looseness of the legs at the outboard ribs, & tighten the bolts every so often.
I think reinforcing the ribs worth the small weight penalty for the added safety.

Werner Maag, CH8174 Stadel, Switzerland
Username: Wmaag

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 12:27 am:   

Initially I had the 2 Alu angles to take the loads from the bracket at the outer wingrib. After a bad landing on a grass runway I found cracks in the corners of the outer rib on one side. I made a 10 mm strong Alu plate with 6 more bolts reinforcement to distribute the forces better to the fibreglass. So far no more problems after some 400 cicles (stiff Alu gear).
Werner Maag

Ben Baltrusaitis
Username: Freepistol

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 10:58 am:   

Why are we so reluctant to start new threads for our questions? It will be much easier to search for previous answers when each thread is restricted to one topic. This started as a test flight topic and recently VGs, now gear reinforcement. If someone searches VGs and this thread pops up, look how much irrevelant info one must read to get to the good stuff.
Please don't construe this as a personal attack; I've just noticed this happening from time to time and was wondering why.

Jim Reis
Username: Jreis

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 01:07 pm:   

Easier, perhaps because one would think that the most recent thread would reach more readers??? Just a guess. But, I do agree with you that keeping on the initial thread subject would certainly help with the occasional visitor searching for specific subject matter.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: