Wing close-out. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Wing close-out. « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through October 17, 2000Werner Maag10-17-00  01:18 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brynjar Thordarson (Benny)
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2000 - 02:15 am:   

Thank you Werner.
I'll take you up on that offer.
A general question: Are there any changes in the layup amount on the landing gear ribs since the Wheeler manual. I am getting close to lay them up and I've found a way to lay them up with the wings bottom skin off, but I only need a confirmation on how many layups are required.
I have three builder friends here in LUX who are willing to help with the close-out in addition to Werner. That should do the trick!

Tom R. Hutchison (Tomhutch)
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2000 - 10:40 am:   

Brynjar (Benny),

My 2 cents (american currency) worth. Be very careful when you fit your bottom wing skin before closing. Spend lots of time getting the ribs sanded to fit WITHOUT HIGH SPOTS. One great suggestion I saw was to lay a bead of sculpture clay (play-dough) between two layers of plastic wrap like food wrap (Saran etc.) along the ribs. Weight down the skin like you plan to do when closing. The clay thickness will then show you the gap that the milled fiber will fill or any high spots.

A local Glasair builder creates flanges on each side of the ribs to increase the bonding area. Lots of work, but will ensure a very strong rib-skin bond.

When you weigh down the skin, be very carefull not to create depressions between the ribs. I ended up with 1/4" deep valleys between my ribs.

Above all take the time to get a perfect fit before you bond. It will save you hours and hours of work (and weight) when you do the body work on the wings. Also it will decrease the possibilities of fuel leaks.

Tom

Brian McKinney (Bmckinney)
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 12:27 pm:   

I'm getting closer to closing the right wing, and and I have a question concerning the aft shear web and rib sanding. The EDI manual that I have was missing procedure 3.41 - step #3 which is the sanding information for the aft skin fit sanding.

I flipped through an older Wheeler manual and found the missing step #3 that instructed to make spacer blocks of varying heights that keeps the aft skin EOPs a specific distance apart.

Is this still the correct way to fit the skin on the aft side?

Bill Copeland
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 02:10 pm:   

Brian:
Ignore the use of spacer blocks as shown in the manual. The aft shear web should be cut on a VERY straight line from the end of the hard foam block which came bonded to your upper wing skin from the factory - on the inboard end of the aft shear web, to the height of the most outboard rib. Recommend that you make special effort to keep the trailing edge of the skin as straight as you can. You will be happy that you did when you start construction of the flaps and ailerons.

Bill C

Brynjar Thordarson (Benny)
Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 02:29 am:   

Does your aircraft fly straight?
Mine surely won’t unless I perform a major surgery!!!!!!
I was very fortunate when I decided to close out both wings at the same time. I found out that the angle between the upper and lower spar cap at the wing tip is different from left to right, with a greater difference on the left wing. My left wing is one of the first wings delivered by Wheeler, so maybe the jig was corrected later. Has anyone experienced this or am I the only one that ever checked?
I also have found out that when I installed the ribs originally, many moons ago (I used the same support ribs at that time), I came up with a slightly different measurement in the wing roots. By placing a straightedge on the lower spar cap, perpendicular to the spar, the space from the straightedge to the upper skin isn’t the same on the left and right wings.
I recommend that all future builders check this and I do recommend that one builds a second set of sawhorses and support ribs.
Best regards to you all and please comment on my findings.
BENNY

wayne norris
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 06:18 am:   

Mine is what I'd call very right wing heavy, is this common to most? I have re-checked the root and tip AOI and they are the same, so no trist there. I am thinking that for some reason the right wing is built heavier than the left. I just hate to be flying around with all that left trim. Good day, Wayne

Brian McKinney (Bmckinney)
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2002 - 11:57 pm:   

OK, now I am really much closer to closing out my right wing (notice my post above from 4/2001...). What's the deal with the "new" assembly manual way of closing out the wing with two layers of mat glass on the spar along with the mill fiber? Is this way all of you Series 2000 guys did it? What's the weight of the mat glass you used? AS&S has 13.5 oz. weight stuff.

I assume this whole procedure is just to help fill in the areas where the mill fiber squish doesn't cover.

Thanks,
Brian

Gary Markwardt
Posted on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 02:04 pm:   

Brian:
We used two layers of mat on the main spar and a layer on the rear shear web when we closed out my Series 2000 wings at EAC. My understanding was that EAC found during early builds that the wing skin tends to flatten along the spar. The mat serves as a solid "filler" to help prevent the flat spotting. I am not sure of the mat weight. Perhaps EAC can give you their souce.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: