Aileron rigging Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Aileron rigging « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through October 29, 2000Sven-Ake Eriksson10-29-00  01:33 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve Bussey
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2000 - 06:23 am:   

Here is the procedure I received from Larry Olson at Express Aircraft. I changed step 2 to use the aft tube, with the horn .65 inch inboard (as stated in the manual early on in the construction of the wing). Then I had to adjust the stick to stick rod some, but now everything working pretty good.

Step 1 Use a clamp and lock the stick in the center position. Both left and right and for and aft. Connect pilot and copilot sticks with interconnect tube.

Step 2. Position the aileron torque tube (inboard) so that the forward arm is positioned inboard 7/8" from the vertical. Connect inboard push/pull tube.

Step 3. Position outboard bellcrank in the neutral position. Check manual for setting. Adjust Mid Push/Pull Tube.

Step 4. Clamp aileron in natural position and adjust outboard (short) push/pull tube.

Adjust stops on stick to achieve aileron movement 20 up and 9 down plus or minus 1.5 degrees.

Jim Siebel
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2000 - 06:00 am:   

In general, I used Steve's method. However, we found that the Wheeler bellcrank had enough slop to cause excessive play in the ailerons so I made up a new bellcrank which used a pair of flanged bearings.
After setting everything up according to the book, but without the final aileron linkage connected, we found that we had the right amount of aileron throw and differential but without sufficient stick throw.
Some people changed the connection point on the stick to overcome this problem. That puts additional load on the entire control system. We found that by leaving all other linkages per the book, but moving the final pushrod linkage about 1" in toward the bearing, everything worked perfectly without adding the additional load to the system. Because of the mechanical advantage gained, this should also help the heavy aileron problem. Since the connection points on my ailerons are probably different from the book, the amount of relocation would accordingly be different on each airplane.

ali moghaddas
Username: Amoghadd

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 02:05 pm:   

I had my inaugural flight in my Express (N190AM) over the holidays.
The flight lasted about 30 minutes. I had an issue with my prop governor over speeding which I manually controlled to get the airplane back on the ground. I took the governor to a governor shop in Van Nuys to adjust. My engine has a ratio of .89 (IO-540 C4B5) which I did not know, that is why it was over speeding by approximately 10%.

My main problem is that the ailerons are extremely heavy, even at 120 knts. My wing & aileron rigging is based on 1990 vintage. When I flew the factory demo two years ago, the ailerons required much lighter forces.

I have read the write-up regarding this issue. Are the new bell cranks in the new wing (later models) the same as old ones? Any suggestion along with a sketch/ dimensions is appreciated?

Thanks,
Ali
ali.moghaddas@pwr.utc.com

Darrell M Peterson
Username: Darrell

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 02:37 pm:   

Ali, the bell cranks in the new F/5 wing run down the leading edge,completly different from the older wing,this did not make any difference,these are heavy also. We are now working on aileron assist, to see if this will help,but we have not flown it yet.We will let you know.
Regards
Darrell M pETERSON

Ben Baltrusaitis
Username: Freepistol

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 04:00 pm:   

Congratulations on your inaugural flight, Ali!
Welcome to the {flying} Express family.
Ben

Shawn kelley
Username: Skelley

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 05:17 pm:   

Ali
How thck is our ailerons at the trailing lead. Mine are 1/4" thick and are not very heavy until over 165kts. Also as Jim Ward his are a little more about 3/8" and seemed to be lighter still.
Shawn

Al Kittleson
Username: Al38kit

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 05:34 pm:   

As I'm in the process of rebuilding an original set of wings, I'm interested in all fixes...Making the TE of the ailerons thicker would be easy...

When they mention "heavy"...is that in stick force or do they really mean high control deflection?

I would think the "heavy" could be fixed by control ratios and stick fulcrum points...longer stick?

ali moghaddas

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 08:01 pm:   

I made my control stick slightly longer (~1.5-2 inches longer) to address the anticipated heavy aileron forces. I used my knees to help the airplane bank.
My aileron trailing edges are 1/8" to 3/16" thick.
I spoke with Gerry S. He suggested to move the aileron attachment point on the control stick to a lower point (~ 3/4" lower). I'll try this next weekend.
If that doesn't do it, I'll try Shawn's idea.
Any suggestions on how to build up the trailing edge without adding a lot of weight to the aileron?
Thanks,
Ali
ali.moghaddas@pwr.utc.com

Roger Spencer
Username: Roger

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 08:28 pm:   

Ali Congratulations on your first flight!
Still working on mine.
Roger

Shawn kelley
Username: Skelley

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 07:50 am:   

Ali Ho ya Congratulations on your first flight!
You can use 2lb foam and blue tape get a quick fix and then just foam and two layers of glass. For the final. just do it on the top

Shawn

ali moghaddas

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 11:17 am:   

Resolved the heavy aileron problem !!!

Lowered the aileron control rod attachment point on the control stick (drilled another # 10 size hole, ~ 3/4" lower than the baseline).
Flew her a couple days ago. My guesstimate is that after the modification, the aileron forces are in the neighborhood of a C-172 forces (tested to 150 kts).
Ali

Roger Spencer
Username: Roger

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 05:30 pm:   

Ali, With that fix can you still get full aileron deflection without the stick getting into your knees?

ali moghaddas

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, January 21, 2011 - 08:51 am:   

Roger,
In my case, it seems all right. One factor that would affect your decision is the girth of your legs.
What I would do: I would drill the holes, before installing the sticks. This would provide you with an easy option to switch from one hole to the other.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: