Brake Lines Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Brake Lines « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through September 27, 2002Kevin Dennes10 09-27-02  03:37 am
Archive through September 29, 2002Tom R. Hutchison (To10 09-29-02  08:52 pm
Archive through December 07, 2003wayne10 12-07-03  06:51 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Reinhard Metz
Username: Reinhard_metz

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 07:21 pm:   

I've had the same problem, Wayne's advice is right on. The o-rings are cheap. When you have the pistons out, in addition to cleaning, some carefull 1000 grade paper surface clean-up is helpfull as well.

And guess what? With some care you can do the job WITHOUT bleeding the line! I've done this several times: First, cap the lines as you remove them, letting fluid leak out as you cap them to close the line off without any air. Second, after fixing the caliper assembly, carefully fill the assembly from the top or push fluid in from the bottom untill it flows out the top. With care this can be done expelling all the air from the caliper assembly. Hold the assembly carefully with fluid right to the top and start the line in loosely so that leaking fluid keeps any air out. It helps to push on a piston slightly at the same time to leak fluid out. Sounds a bit tricky and is best done with a helper, but compared to bleeding the system, it's a cinch!

jharlow
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 03:23 am:   

Question? Where are you all mounting the calipers, fwd of the gear or aft?
I live on a grass strip and have had no problems with my brakes in three years of operation.
I mounted the calipers fwd of the gear so that any dirt would be slung off and not into the calipers. This may be the reason I have not had any problems.
John

wayne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 03:05 pm:   

I haven't had any problems, same pads and tires for 230hrs. I let it roll out on landing and hardly use the brakes. But I have rebuilt brakes on my acro planes. My calipers are on the back for ease of running the line. Be sure to use some fuellub on the Orings when you put the pistons back in.

Phil & Margie Hodge
Username: N410mp

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 07:34 pm:   

Thanks, Reinhard and Wayne. You guys are wonderful!!!

I rarely use the brakes on my grass strip, now that I know how to fly slow enough to land short. Have used them HARD a few times before that ! Pads and tires are OK after 3 years and 220 hours, but she's been parked outside all that time, so dirt and corrosion does seem reasonable. My calipers are on the back also, for the same reason.

Phil

LOUIE LACY
Username: Llacy

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 04:24 pm:   

Concerning bleeding the brakes. You can bleed the brakes until you die and if the o rings in the acutators are bad it will do no good. I bleed my brakes about 10 times each and thought air was the problem . The o rings have a shelf life and most people probably left them on the shelf for several years before installing and thus they had no fluid around the rings
Lou

Roger Spencer
Username: Roger

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 07:47 pm:   

When I bought my project it didn't have the brakes or wheels with it. I'm about to the point where I need them. What kind/size of brakes and wheels/tires is everyone using for mains and nose wheel. I talked to Grove and they didn't have anything that would handle the Express' energy. I've got the aluminum gear if that makes a difference.

Charles M. Robinson
Username: F15epilot

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 06:33 am:   

My project came with a set of Cessna brakes and wheels. The tires are 6.0 x 6. You can use the 6 ply or 8 ply--the latter gives you a higher speed and load, 600 lbs/tire, though the 1750 load of the 6-ply is likely more than the load on the mains at max gross (depends on what model you have; probably 1650 lbs, worst case). My brakes, as I found out, were not a matched pair. One was a Cessna/McCauley brake; the other a Cleveland; all off Cessna 206/210 (dual pistons). You'll be taxiing with the brakes for steering, so plan for a bit more wear on them, especially the right one (P-factor on takeoff). Seems to me the limiting factor is the nosewheel shimmy induced by stomping on the binders, which you want to address by torquing the nosewheel bolt as listed in several posts. Otherwise, you'll get a good vibration while you try to slow down! Again, I inherited my brakes, but the previous guy used them on two other Express kits, all with no issues. Good luck, and keep on building!

Chris M (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 11:14 am:   

Roger,

If memory serves correct, the main gear wheel & brake assembly we packaged with the new kits (at least during my time at EAC) was the Cleveland #199-60 kit. I don't recall the nose wheel specs off hand, unfortunately. Hopefully someone else can chime in here and answer it.

Hope that helps some.

- Chris

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 07:31 pm:   

if its any help i purchased my master cylinders lines and fittings from van, and the main axles wheels and brakes from matco have made many high speed landings at 2600 ft strip with no brake fade or other problems. if you want particulars contact me at rv76@aol,com.

victor raffaglio
Username: Vraffag

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 01:45 pm:   

I am looking for someone that can help me to find a express 2000 rg kit. My e-mail is vraffag@inwind.it

Gary Markwardt
Username: Gmark

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 04:41 pm:   

BRAKE ALERT! For those of you who may have had brakes installed by Express Aircraft, I suggest you check the upper attachment on the brake cylinders. On startup this weekend, my Express took a sharp right turn as I had no left brake -- pedal went to the floor. The upper brake cylinder attaching bolt popped out of the bracket because the nut came off. Checking the three other cylinders, the threads were not thru the nylon lock nuts on ANY of the attaching bolts. One was only finger tight, ready to come off. If this failure had happened on landing, the results could have been disasterous. This picture is the attachment after I corrected the bolt length to assure threads were thru the nylon lock nut.

brake cylinder attachment

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: